Composition, I give myself one month to compose the entire album, in fact I wanted to have 16 songs to the end of the month. I finally get 15, but it is OK, if I haven’t set deadline I probably would have 5 maybe 6 songs. So the fact that I had deadline force me to focus as a songwriter and get a lot of the job done. Anyway my album will have 12 songs so I can cut some songs that doesn’t fit with the other. Time : 1 month
- Scratch Track, This seems to be very simple but it’s worth the afternoon recording you with only a guitar. For me this is where I find the tempo of the song, the one that I’m comfortable with and I record the scratch track with the metronome. This is where I set up my plan for the song. Example : Intro, Verse 1, Riff, Bridge… Once I’m done the structure of the song will not move. Time : 1 week
- Arrangement, Once I’m done with the tempo and have a solid scratch track, I start thinking which instrument will complement the song I have written. This is a crucial step, because you want you song to be interesting from the beginning to the end. You can demo things at this steps to see if it fits well. Time : 1 month
- Recording, This seems a big steps, but if you did your homework before, this should not suppose to be that long because you will know what you want to record. I will give you some tips to make a killer recording session later. Time : 4 days (2 week-end)
- Mixing, This is a complicated part, because I don’t know if you can mix or not, are you a fast mixer or not, so I will give how long it takes for me but it can be faster or slower depending of your situation. Time : 12 days (one mix per day)
- Mastering, Another complicated part for deadline, but this is pretty fast for me, since I put every songs in the same session and do like 80 to 95% of the same process to each songs. Time : 1 day
I hope you enjoy, try this for your next album and tell me if it works for you.
Have a nice day!